Thursday, October 20, 2011

Cramming for Tough Mudder

With Tough Mudder just four days away, I'm down to my last couple of workouts.  On Friday and Saturday, I'm not going to do anything strenuous.  I might go for a jog on Friday, but Saturday is going to be spent getting to the event and checking into our apartment at Wintergreen.

Here's what I've done over the past few days:

I missed logging a day from last week:
10/10:  I went into the gym that night to do a basic workout.  I focused on lifting weights.  I don't remember everything I did, but I do remember doing M100s, barbell complexes, and working on my back and chest.

10/14: I worked out at the gym.  I changed things up a bit and did several Near Muscle Fatigue exercises.  I used a barbell with 20 lbs on it.  I did bicep curls, flat bench press, and shoulder press.  I also worked on my core with crunches, planks, leg lifts, etc. 

10/15: I did the 5-mile loop around Lake Habeeb.  I started to go around a second time, for a full ten miles, but just couldn't see my knees making the trip.  I did the first 5 miles in about 54 minutes.  I'm really hoping that the obstacles throughout Tough Mudder will allow me opportunities to give my knees a break.  Based on the course they have up on the website, I might just get lucky.

10/18:  I really don't think I took two days off, but I can't remember what I did either Sunday or Monday, so all I've got is Tuesday.  I worked out at the gym.
  1. Dumbbell Curls, 30 lbs each, 10 reps, 3 sets.
  2. Dumbbell shoulder press, 15 lbs each, 10 reps, 3 sets.
  3. Dumbbell tricep extensions, 15 lbs, 10 reps, 3 sets.
  4. Dumbbell shoulder raises, 15 lbs each, 10 reps, 3 sets.
  5. Dumbbell flat bench, 45 lbs each, 10 reps, 3 sets.
  6. Dumbbell row, 80 lb dumbbell, 10 reps, 3 sets.
  7. Core: crunches, leg raises.
10/19: Last run.  3.64 miles in 34 minutes.  I ran with my Minimus shoes, and spent about a third of the run on the front of my feet.  My calves are killing me, but my knees aren't.  I feel like I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.  Again, hoping that obstacles allow me to use different muscles and give some things, particularly my knees, breaks (albeit brief).

No comments:

Post a Comment